My Credo

"Life can't defeat a writer who is in love with writing, for life itself is a writer's lover until death." Edna Ferber

Monday, January 24, 2011

How NOT to Sexy Part II

After this weekend, I think I can safely confirm that gastroparesis is definitely NOT a sexy disorder.

I went out on my first date in three years. Yes, I know that is a long time, but I have always been one to have long dry spells...usually followed by a deluge of offers. In Korea, I made the astounding discovery that a girl COULD have three dates in one weekend...Unfortunately, at the time, I "chose" the wrong one to stick with. Sigh.

Alas, there was no deluge this time, but that is to be expected when your belly bloats out to the rough equivalent of an eight month pregnant soccer mom (i.e. relatively toned elsewhere). I have had more "feeling gross" days now than I ever had when I suddenly gained 80 pounds (without any provocation, I might add) my early twenties. But I digress. Gastroparesis does not make one feel exactly frisky or interested in the opposite sex; in fact, it makes one queasy at the thought of "intimacy," if not downright seasick. I mentioned this to one of the nurses who saw me early on, and inquired as to why I hadn't had any children "at my age."

As things happen, I randomly met a research biologist (long story there), who asked me out for dinner. I accepted without thinking things through too much; we had talked before extensively about medical research, and I had mentioned in passing that I had a chronic medical disorder that was being researched at Stanford. We agreed to meet at a local chain restaurant for dinner on the following Saturday. Unfortunately, I made several key mistakes in my Saturday, which resulted in a date that will never be forgotten. They were:

1. I was due for my medical massage on that Saturday morning. This entailed a jaunt over the mountain to Watsonville, which is 90 minutes each way. This also meant that I would be a bit shaky on my feet afterward; the massage therapist always manages to shake loose whatever my digestive system is holding on to and to purge the toxins in one massive "screamer" episode in the bathroom. This can occur within one hour of the massage, or one day, but it is always guaranteed to arrive at inopportune moments. What I should have done is reschedule.

2. I ate an unfamiliar food for lunch. As it it turned out, the half sandwich I ate was harboring hidden fat, according to the nutritional information I later pulled up on my iPad. Excessive fat can be agonizing for a gastroparesis patient, as it slows things down even further. I was in very poor condition until an hour before the appointed meeting time; I took a long, long, walk to "shake things down, " which appeared to work, at least at first.

3. I was late for my date. My father, who had driven me to my appointment (I have problems driving over mountain passes), left something in my car, took my keys to retrieve it, then forgot to return them to me. This would have been no big deal, except that he and my mother had gone out on their anniversary dinner. Fortunately, they arrived home just in time, but I was delayed ten minutes, which would have been fine if I hadn't blown right past the freeway entrance in my hurry to get out of there. I had also made a point of "don't be late!" to my date - I hate being the late person, and my pet peeve is late people. So I basically made myself look dumb (which was gently commented upon!).

The dinner itself was lively and entertaining; we had a good chance to get to know one another. He did look a bit startled when I only ordered soup, but I gently reminded him that I have a digestive disorder and therefore a restricted diet. The dinner seemed to sit well with me as we chatted about various things. We went outside and walked around, and finally sat down in his car. The moment was right, things were sweet...He leaned in for his close-up, and then...it happened. A completely unmotivated wave of nausea swept over me...I cringed back. He stopped and looked at me, puzzled. The nausea passed, and he tried again.

The anticipation of a sweet ending to a nice evening, plus and uneasy stomach is not a combination of physical sensations I would recommend to anyone. Perhaps one set of sensations set off the other, or maybe they converged, or maybe there was something else at work in that moment; whatever it was, it was one of the most unpleasant convergences of sensations I have ever had - Come-to-me-my-love and No-not-tonight-honey-I-have-a-headache definitely do NOT  belong together in the same body at the same time.

And then, to add insult to injury, the electric storm broke.

Waves upon waves of electrical shocks swept up and down my digestive tract, pulsing up to my throat, then down to my bowels, then up again. It was like an electrically-charged hand was scraping the inside of all of my internal organs. I doubled over in pain, grasping my stomach, hoping and praying that I wouldn't lose control. When this happens, I never know whether I will vomit or lose bowel control - sometimes, it's both - so I was in a bit of a panic, as you can imagine.

I told my date I suddenly wasn't feeling well. "It's not you, it's me" voiced itself through my clouded brain, but that didn't seem to be an appropriate response. At first he didn't seem to believe me, and even seemed to take it as a personal rejection. Finally, something in my tone of voice and my doubled over stance (you think?) convinced him I was genuine. He helped me to my car, and offered to follow me home to make sure I was safe. I gently rejected his offer, but promised to call him when I got home.

I kept my promise and called him when I reached my house, but I knew by his tone of voice he was not happy. He said he would "call me sometime later,"  but I knew he wouldn't do so. And he hasn't.

I was up most of the night after that. The electrical storm continued for a few hours more, but ultimately resulted in nothing. I finally finished "purging" the released toxins the next day, but it was too late by then.

I am a bit disappointed at my body's betrayal, but I know it is probably a good thing; a man who can't handle a girl at her worst is probably not tough enough to stomach (ha!ha!) the chills and thrills of a gastroparesis patient. The gastroparesis forums are full of stories of men who give up and walk out on their sick wives and girlfriends; I can't imagine GP patients having a very active sex life, especially if they are female (ahem- think about it).

I am, oddly enough, perfectly fine today - almost normal in fact. I even went to the gym, and got in a good workout- best I've had all month, in fact. I am not one to wait by the phone for a call that will probably never come, yet part of me does feel I owe him an explanation.

2 comments:

  1. :(. sorry! once I had a date and I tossed my cookies all over her living room; who knew eight shots would do that? hope it goes better - U R good people!

    ReplyDelete
  2. Oh no! That sounds like a really uncomfortable evening for both of you. Well, if he doesn't call you back...screw him! I love you to pieces!! HUGS!

    ReplyDelete