My Credo

"Life can't defeat a writer who is in love with writing, for life itself is a writer's lover until death." Edna Ferber

Friday, November 14, 2014

September 15, 2014: A Delegation of Nations

I think I startled a Yemeni scholar today by shaking his hand. Actually, he took it pretty well, which I appreciate. I get the impression that they are kind of conservative in that country.

There is a delegation of international teachers and scholars on campus. They are from the most random countries you can think of... I am completely fascinated! I hope I get to meet some of them. They are here to learn about American teaching styles and education - its through some kind of government outreach program, I think. If I am wrong, I will edit this post tomorrow;)

Actually, I am just honored to MEET someone from Yemen. I have several students from Panama as well, which, oddly enough, some of my Saudi students seem to find fascinating. There are also Iraqi, Emirati, Omani, Brazilian, Chilean, Swiss (he's a watchmaker!), and Senegalese students.

How often does THAT happen, meeting and working with people from so many different corners of the earth? This is why I love my job and cannot give it up. I may have had to give up travelling...for the time being, at least, but at least I can still experience other cultures.

No comments:

Post a Comment